Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Mexico Week 48 -- The Family is the Foundation

To my gorgeous, beautiful, loving family!!  I hope that you are all super happy! I am more than happy on this beautiful Monday! 

Well let’s get these pictures explained. 

Some of my favorite kiddos!



In white is Hermana Paty. She is a single adult in the ward but she is too funny. We always have a good time and she’s just a special person. 



One of our less active members has Australian shepherds and they had puppies! They are about a month old and how cute are they?!



This week we got to teach Hermano Jose about temple marriage and the endowment. I LOVE TEACHING ABOUT THE TEMPLE. I love this family to pieces and Jose is like the brother I never had. I worry about him and just hope and pray that he stays faithful in the gospel. I’m not sure who he’ll marry, but one day I’ll be in his temple sealing too! The ward is having a temple trip on Febuary 7th, and he and his mom say that they’ll be going! 

The rough news is, Hermana Elsa’s fistula opened up again and she might need a 5th surgery. She was a little down this week and we showed up one day unplanned because we felt like we should and we caught them in the act of taking the Christmas tree down. We helped, branch by branch, and she just lit up. I love serving where we can!! 

We ate one day with the Fernandez family this week and we practiced with them how they could share the gospel with friends, family, or neighbors. They work so much in the ward and they are like the star family.  Rocio received her mission call this week and her brother is waiting for his. They will have two missionaries at the same time! Their dad reminds me so much of you dad!  It’s been hard for them to share with others, so we starting practicing. I felt such a strong and special spirit as I watched them practice how to share a family proclamation with a neighbor. First, I thought about you guys, how we really should practice so that it doesn’t make us nervous or feel weird. It would be so fun to practice with you guys and then actually do it! Then, I thought about my future family, I want to teach my kids from the time they’re little to share and testify and invite. We just have to practice to get rid of the nerves and then we can all be missionaries! 

On Sunday, we watched Rocio open her mission call (here your call arrives with the bishop). We entered a classroom during the 3rd hour with her family and she opened her call. We were all teared up and she’s going to Merida! It reminded me so much of when I opened my call. What we do as missionaries is so special - nothing compares with it. Ahh, I just got all teared up and her parents too and her siblings and it was just really special. I know we’re in the truth and another ward has come to feel like home! 

This week as we visited lots of families - members and nonmembers - I was really struck by how important humility is in this life, especially in marriage. They are so many family problems and divorces and so many times it’s just a lack of humility. We have to say sorry, we have to listen, we have to be willing to work together and improve. We have to accept what the Lord wants for us. We have to admit when we’re wrong. I know I’m not married or anything, but this was just a strong impression for me this week. If we are going to have successful families and marriages, we have to be humble. I know I’m still a little prideful, but the mission has honestly humbled me so much. I was really loving the hymns this week and we sang in the elders´ baptism, and lots of people told me “I have a gift.”  At night afterward, I was thinking a lot about music and I know it’s cheesy but I remembered Mrs. Esperson from 7th grade that asked me if I was really sure about quitting choir. My pride has really prohibited me from developing something that is a gift from Heavenly Father. I never pursued it because other people were better. Looking back on it, I was, and sometimes still am, so prideful! I really want to work with music after my mission so that my home can be blessed by the Spirit music brings. I just want my home to be filled with hymns and piano music, and yeah, just the Spirit almost all the time! 

The best part of the whole week was Hermana Judith! I told y’all I think two weeks ago that I felt like we should visit her and well then we lost her for about a week and a half. This week we found her again and we taught the Restoration, and it was just incredible. She understood it all and was asking lots of questions, and ahh, I wish I could have taken a picture of her face. As we said the first vision, she said it gave her goose bumps and just felt like it was true. She kept saying, “I’ve just never heard this before. I just want to learn more.”  Last time we left Doctrine and Covenants 20:37 with her and asked her to really think about how she could prepare for baptism. She told us that she had the scripture on her desk at work and had been thinking about it a lot. She said it was a big decision and that she needed to make lots of changes, but that it was so important. She’s been telling everyone in her family that she listening to us.  It just reminds me of teaching Hermano Oscar. Saturday night we went looking for her and found her looking pretty rough saying they were in the middle of family problems but that she would see us on Sunday. We were a little discouraged Sunday morning thinking she wasn’t going to make it to church. I was just praying and praying that if we were teaching someone that was prepared and ready that they would make it to church, if he wanted us to keep working with someone, I needed to see them at church. At 10:40 Hermana Judith shows up! We were so suprised that in spite of everything she went to church! She loved it and had the same face when we taught her. She said she felt really good and wanting to keep coming every week. The bishop talked about the church of Jesus Christ in the principles class and invited her to pray about if what we taught is the truth. She says, “Well, actually, I’ve already started praying and asking!”  Ahhh!! She wants to bring her grandkids to church and she’s just a doll! We are so blessed and excited to be working with her! 


I love you guys so much! I hope that you are happy and doing what’s right and most importantly representing Jesus Christ. Until next week! 

 photo sig_zps85124238.png

No comments:

Post a Comment