Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My Setting Apart

     

I can’t believe it’s already here!  Time truly does fly…tonight I was set apart at as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  My family and my Grandma Janice came with me to the stake president’s house and there was such a special feeling in their home.


President Gottfredson tole me that he had two things he wanted me to remember as a missionary ... One, is to work hard!  If you want to have a positive mission, maybe even an easy one, then stay focused on the work and give it your best.  The second is to not get discouraged.  Discouragement is a tool that Satan uses that to knock missionaries off the path and to bring them down.  So stay positive by looking for those positive things in every single day.

I was really surprised when President Gottfredson asked each member of my family what they thought my strengths were and what characteristics of mine they believed would help me on my mission.  I was so touched by the different things that my family mentioned.  I feel so blessed to have been placed in the family that I was placed in.  Our relationships are so strong and we truly love each other.  I hope to someday be able to create this in my own family.

Dad:  This girl was born to be a missionary.  She has a huge heart and is quick to love.  She also loves the gospel and has a strong desire to be a positive influence where she can in the world.

Rach:  She has been my best friend since we were little kids.  She is such a people person.  She reaches to everyone and is always concerned with how other are feeling and doing.  She looks for opportunities to make people feel special.

Mom:  Ditto to everything that has been said!  I would add that she has an ability to bounce back quick and look for the positive.  When those challenges come, she will push through and stay positive.

Megan:  She can teach anybody anything!

Grandma:  There is a grace and ease about her that makes people feel comfortable and draws them to her.

As President Gottfredson and my father put their hands upon my hand, I could already feel the power and authority.  I knew that they both had priesthood power and that my calling to serve came from the Lord.  There are specific people that I need to touch in and around Guadalajara and I can’t wait to meet them.  President talked about how I would radiate and that my infectious smile and personality would draw others in.  He talked about how I would have the opportunity to work with many less active members and help them to feel the same spirit that they once felt.  He mentioned I will have some more difficult companions, but he blessed me that I might know what their needs are and how I can better serve them.  He said that my testimony would change lives.  This is such an incredible concept to me. Through my experiences and the things that I have learned, I can impact others.  I can make a difference in their lives.  President blessed me that I might be able to follow the Spirit and learn how to come to know the Lord’s needs.  Lastly, the President told me I was loved.  My Heavenly Father is proud of my righteous living and knows that I have a desire to do what is right.  I absolutely loved this wording. My Heavenly Father knows my heart.  He knows the things that I desire and He knows my motives.  He loves me perfectly and my blessing was perfect.


I am nervous about missing my family and know that I will definitely have my days. However, after tonight, I feel so much peace. I know that I have a purpose. I know that nobody but me can do what I need to do. I just feel excited at this point. I am so ready to jump in and get to work and start the next 18 months of my life!

 photo sig_zps85124238.png

No comments:

Post a Comment