Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Week 3 -- The Dream Team



Familia!!

Whew this week was a good one! First things first...we had orientation last week for our new district! It was so much fun and we worked with the zone leaders, did some skits, and our new district is really great. We get to do orientation again tonight because we have another new district...BUT they're all elders :(

Muchas gracias for all of the packages! All of the themes are so cute mom! We got the fish, nuts, and cookies! I also got a package from the Kellems family this week and one from Mama Randall!  I've been writing thank you letters, but I'll be sure to snap pics too. Apparently, our apartment is popular because our kitchen counter is covered with packages! We have sorted it all by what it is and we call it the "Food Court." Everyone comes by to eat ;) 

Soooo...El Equipo de Sueno (Dream Team) is in full swing because now we have uniforms! We bought the Mexico shirts at the bookstore! Not to mention the Nikes and the baller socks and shorts. I hope you loved all of our pics because we literally have a blast. Sad news though...Hermana Cline and Hermana Paskett are leaving on Monday.  So sad, but we'll keep the B-Ball tradition alive! 




I've got a great story for you … Hermana Taylor was saying a prayer for us in class one day and she said bless the food not to give us "infierno" instead of "enfermo." For all the non-Spanish speakers out there, she asked that the food wouldn't give us hell, instead of not make us sick. We've all been dying for days and Hermana Mansfield tells the story to everyone that will listen! 

Fun fact! Remember when Rachel and I took the missionary discussions in Keller 1st?? Remember Elder Daniel?? Hermana Daniel has told me a million times that her brother served his mission in Texas, but I never put two and two together.  The Elder Daniel is my companion's brother!! CONNECTIONS. 

Janice Kapp Perry taught Relief Society this week! She taught a lot about music and we sang a lot of primary hymns that she wrote. I felt again that kids would be so important to me as a missionary. I saw myself teaching kids songs from the children´s hymnbook and just felt like it would be a really powerful took for me in people´s homes. Of course, I bought a children´s hymnbook today in Spanish! I think I like Spanish more than English! 

So remember when I told you about our activity last week when all of my hermanas said good things about each other?  Well, here´s a little of the back-story. I had been feeling that we should do this for about a week, but we kept running out of time and I kept putting if off.  During devotional last Tuesday the thought hit me again but much stronger this time.  I felt that I needed to modify our district meeting and do that instead that night.  As we get back to our class, the Branch President is with our district, and I was pretty scared to ask if I could change the meeting.  Finally I got enough guts and he kind of made this face and said we could try it.  I felt pretty dumb; however, it went really well!  Well, I shared this experience at our district meeting Sunday when we were talking about following the spirit and a member of the Branch Presidency piped up and told me that even though I felt dumb, it had an impact. He said at the meeting with the new district this week, the President had companions do the same activity. He made a comment that it went so well that they were going to have to do that more!  Moral of the story … Don´t doubt it when the Spirit tells you to do something.  Even if it´s scary, even if it´s dumb, it´s for a reason, so just do it! 

We had our first experiences with TRC this week! I´m not entirely sure what that stands for, but basically we teach volunteers and a lot of them are actually from Mexico!  Sometimes we use Skype too.  They had us bring only scriptures and our first lesson was with a member who hasn´t been going to church lately and didn´t have a temple recommend.  I understood a lot of his Spanish but also missing quite a few things.  He wasn´t really saying much about why and then I just heard him say ¨dolor¨ -- I had the thought to open my scriptures. So I did and I ended up in Isaiah 53.  I had him read verses 2 to 6.  The Spirit in that room was so strong and I started to tear up as I bore my testimony about the Savior.  We truly touched the man we taught and he just kept saying ¨con esperanza¨ over and over.  I know that the Lord will talk to us and help us to reach people.  I LOVE being a missionary!

Also in TRC this week, we have a new investigator, Daniel.  He literally looks like a Mexican gangster.  Walking over to TRC we were terrified.  We begin talking to him and he´s kind of going after us a little bit.  He doesn´t want to talk about religion and he keeps saying that the whole thing is a joke.  I don´t think I´ve ever been more uncomfortable in my entire life. After about 15 minutes of giving us a hard time, he finally invites his countenance changes and us to sit down.  We started talking about his family and he showed up pictures of his children.  As he was talking to us, I grew to love him.  He wasn´t scary anymore.  I just saw so many holes in his life and all of the comfort that he needed, and I knew that the gospel could heal his heart.  I just caught this fire!  My wheels began turning how to help him and what I could share with him. 

       
  

Hermana Daniel and I also started reading the Book of Mormon aloud in Spanish together this week.  WE LOVE IT.  I know that this book has power and that it´s true.  I challenge y'all to study from it as a family together every day!  I promise it will bring peace and strengthen relationships.  The scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon are so powerful. 

I love you! Hope you have a great week! 


 photo sig_zps85124238.png



No comments:

Post a Comment